Motorola Moto 360 1st Generation: The Most Convenient Wearable! - BSTechReviews

Latest

Saturday 26 November 2016

Motorola Moto 360 1st Generation: The Most Convenient Wearable!


Overview:
Ive always been a die-hard fan for Motorola stuff, whether Mobiles or Wearables. From where it started was I had purchased a Sony Xperia SL many years back that being my very first Android Smartphone, but it was a terrible experience! Nevertheless I will discuss about that in another review. I happened to hear a lot about the 1st Generation Moto G, which was absolutely hyped about in India and I did have a lot of my friends using Moto G 1st Gen devices even today in 2016. 

After all my apprehensions , I decided to buy my first Motorola phone- the Moto G 2nd generation and then began my obsession with Motorola Phones. Especially I was happy to buy it because Motorola was a Google Company that time and I knew we would be getting latest android updates, so thereafter I got myself the Moto g3 immediately after the launch. Moto 360 1st Generation had already launched back then and I did want to try my first wearable. One of my very good and close friends is totally into android and he did mention the Moto 360 1st generation was a good buy. I didn't consider Samsung Gear because of the price difference. Motorola is after all known to make the best budget technology devices. 

 

Design:
The Motorola 360 1st Generation has a Stainless Steel case which looks extremely appealing when worn on your wrists. It has 46mm diameter and a thick chin which for some reason i never knew why it was there in the first place, could be probably for touch screen actions on the screen. 




When I purchased it way back then, it came in two color and material variants. One was a black case with black Silicon band and another was a Gray PVC kind of a band. After about a couple of months more bands came in like the Stainless Steel bands and Leather bands. But nevertheless, anyone of these models looks superb. I did like the black band but decided to go for the Grey PVC band instead.


It does have a waterproof design upto 1 meters and dust resistant as well. It has a very smooth android experience and it compulsorily requires you to pair the smartwatch with an android phone. The edge of the display had very good looking design that will make you want to keep looking at the smartwatch again and again.



Specifications:
The Motorola 360 1st Gen is powered by 1.0 Ghz Chipset with 4Gigs of internal storage and 512 MB of RAM. Ram management is extremely good on the watch and I did not find any kind of lag whatsoever. However, with a latest android updates that came towards the end of 2015 I did notice issues with notifications being dismissed as well as regular hang ups which I guess has not been fixed yet.

This watch does not have Cellular Connectivity so you cannot make or receive calls. However you can swipe to answer/decline calls from the watch but calls have to be answered on your android phone. Due to the Stainless Steel case and design the watch just weighs about 46gms and you won't feel a thing. It has a corning gorilla glass 3 display and 320 x 290 pixels ( 205 pixels per inch ) .

                  

Some of the highlights of the watch is that it has a Accelerometer and Heart Rate sensor, and you will enjoy your workouts with the watch plus all the music navigation capabilities can be completely controlled from your watch. So you don't really need to pull out your cell phones every time you need to change the song or use your headphone buttons to do so.

It comes with a wireless charging dock on which the watch can be placed upon, and roughly it takes about 1 to 1 and half hour to get a full charge on the watch. However one major drawback of this watch is that the battery life is not very good. With normal usage it would last me till late night on the same day and with heavy usage it would conk off by 20 hours or so. So you will need to charge it almost everyday! 

Price and Variants:
The Moto 360 1st Generation has been discontinued after the launch of the 2nd Generation and from what I hear in the news the 2nd Generation is a far more superior device to the 1st Generation Moto 360 Smartwatch.



As far as the price goes, I did purchase it from Flipkart in 2014 for about 18,900/- during the Big Billion Sale and now seems like it is more or less available for starting price of 18,900/- for the 2nd Generation. The stainless steel straps and leather straps go upto 24,900/- and so on. So if you consider getting yourself a smartwatch between this the Asus Zenwatch and the Samsung Galaxy Gear, if budget is a constraint go for this one, it will be a bang for your buck. I am saying this purely because Moto device experiences are purely for stock android users.

If you do like bloatware then go for either the Asus Zenwatch or the Samsung Gear, but keep in mind the price difference between the two are quite enough to go for the Zen Watch if you consider budget.

I think according to me the wearable scene in India has not been taken by surprise and its still at that initial phase, primarily because everything is still not completely online. So it will take time for penetration of wearables in our country but yes there is a massive scope for budget smartphone makers like Motorola and Asus where you can get affordable smartwatches.





No comments:

Post a Comment